With the edit finally locked, it was time to get a sound edit going. However syncing sound is a long and tough process, and as this was the final day, it was pretty much a rush job. Bryony's curse of panic caught up with her, and due to her lack of experience on sound editing Kieran took over as the sound editor, with me helping him along the way. Kieran was in charge of syncing the dialogue which took a few hours as some clips only had the in camera sound. This did prove a challenge, and levels on these particular takes had to be altered to sound as subtle as possible. After he finished syncing the dialogue, I was put in charge of adding in the atmospheres and the Foley sound, as I knew what they were and where they were. This again was a difficult process, as I had to sync up Foleys that I recorded out of pace, such as the moment where Duncan crosses the room to get to Abe. This was unavoidable as I hadn't a copy of the original footage, so I couldn't precisely estimate it and ended up using the same singular footstep over and over. In the meantime Kieran was hunting for a sound to layer over the scenes with Abe's headphones.
We ended up going for a particularly jazzy tone and layered that over top. It was not long enough for the whole scene, so I picked a moment where the music levelled out and copy and pasted everything after it. This allowed the piece to have that sinister yet comedic ending. After I spend a few hours getting all the atmospheric stuff and the Foleys locked in me and Kieran had to adjust the levels, remove any clicks and make sure the sound helped the piece. Out of the images below you can see in the bottom most one that me and Kieran were in their until quarter past 12 when we finally got down to exporting it. Unfortunately the export broke half way through, and security wanted everyone to leave the premises. I informed Kieran that I would arrive first thing in the morning to do it, so we would have something to show.
All in all this project, has been a long tough one, with countless setbacks which forced post production to be crammed in right at the end. These setbacks included the two computers breaking down, meaning we had to start over twice. It's by far not the worst piece it could have been. Me and Kieran came out prideful of the fact we have sacrificed a lot of free time to save the project that for the entire post production process hung on a knife edge.
If I had to sum up what we were handing in, I would compare it to a dirty shoe. With one or two more full days, we could have polished it up to an excellent piece of work. It is by no means a bad piece, in fact I see it as a rough almost finished draft.
The images blows show Me Kieran and Bryony at work. My only disappointment is that Laurence has yet to see the film, so I am unsure as to if he would approve of the finished cut, but at end of day, he could have came in more.






No comments:
Post a Comment