After the mad rush, and securing of a rough sound edit the previous night, I arrived in uni around 8:45AM, to ensure that the film got exported. The only changes I made to the locked sound edit me and Kieran completed the previous night, was to add our student numbers which I collected from the university email network. I exported the piece according to Kieran's instructions, and Kieran came in and compressed a version that would fit easily onto my USB drive. The effect caused the image quality, which already needed grading, to decrease. We got an uncompressed version onto Tyrese's hard drive, which was the better quality and the one we intended to show. However, when the presentation cam around that copy didn't work, so we had to settle for showcasing the compressed version.
Besides me and Kieran, no one else in our group had seen the final edit, Laurence himself admitting he hadn't come to see it. he commented at the end saying that it wasn't what he visualised, and stated he wanted the pull focus longer. I felt it was a tad unprofessional seeing as he hadn't made the effort to come and observe the edit. I as producer came in to see how it was going, and at times was willing to take over when it all became to much for the editor. If he had come in and told us exactly what he wanted from the edit. This being said, I am in no way 100% pleased with what we have got.
Firstly the levels failed us. On play back in a private edit room, the atoms came out clearly and the audio sounded decent. Sadly the levels proved to low for the presentation speakers. I believe that if we had just one more full day to edit I believe we could have sorted the project out. All it really needs is colour grading and more polish on the sound edit.
The project was praised for its black comedy elements, which was the intended angle we went for. This was a pleasing part of the presentation. At the end I asked the tutor directly if the phone scene worked. As the brief stated three characters need to interact in the scene. He responded by saying the characters work, which in itself lifts a weight from my shoulders, as I thought it would be that scene that let us down.
Though the project is not technically finished from a university point of view, for me it isn't. I do not want to hand the actors this project the way it is. I fully intent to improve the edit before the semester is up. All that needs doing on it is a finer sound edit and a colour grading. I will most likely do the colour grading first as the sequence is as done as it can be for now, yet I will extend the pull focus shot. Until my evaluation, I guess I can call this drama project complete, however I will be doing an extra edit which I will update on this blog.
No comments:
Post a Comment